In this digital world, businesses understand the importance of search engine optimization (SEO) and everyone wants to learn some basic techniques of SEO to improve their search engine visibility. Without any high-level consulting, there will be lot misinformation about SEO techniques and strategies. Have a look at 16 important search engine optimization techniques to adapt.
1. SEO is a Dynamic Process: SEO is not a one-time event, one needs to commit himself/herself to keep updated about the process. Search engines keep changing their algorithms regularly, so the tactics that worked earlier may not work this year. SEO work requires a long-term outlook and dedication.
2. Be Patient: SEO does not give instant results, it may often take months time to see results. This will even prove difficult in case of smaller and startup online businesses.
3. Learn SEO: Nowadays, learning SEO became little easier, as many great web resources and plenty of books are available in the market. You can refer those books, articles and resources to get more insight on SEO.
4. Set a Goal: It is always better to set a goal for your SEO efforts. To analyse those efforts, you will need web analytics tools in place to track what is working in your favor and what is not.
5. Design Attractive and User-friendly Website: Everyone wants to rank on the first page of search results. Design of your website plays a major role to grab that number one ranking.
So, while finalizing design for your website, ask some questions to yourself; ‘Is this site really user friendly?’ or ‘Is the site really deserves to be in the list of top 10 websites in the world on a particular topic?” Be honest and if your answer is NO, then make it better.
6. Include Site Map: Search engine cannot index web pages that can’t be crawled. A proper site map helps the crawlers to find all the important pages on your website, and assist to understand your site’s hierarchy. The site map plays an important role, specially when your site has a hard to crawl navigation menu. While creating a site map, make sure it should not have more than 100 links, and if your website has more links break site map into multiple pages.
7. URL Structure: While writing URLs and file names make sure you includes important keywords, for example yourdomain.com/red-widgets.html. A URL with more hyphens look spammy and users may avoid to click on it. Always use hyphens in URLs and file names as it treated as blank space, whereas underscores does not consider as space.
8. Start with Keyword Research: There are several tools available to check the search volume and competition of any keywords. Use these tools and decide the most relevant keywords to your site, for which you want your site to rank well.
9. Open a PPC Account: Whether it’s Microsoft adCenter, Google AdWords or anything else, PPC is the best way to get more search volume for your keywords. It adds some expense to your budget, but it will definitely improve your revenue. If you want instant result, then this is an ultimate solution. Get a PPC expert company to plan the campaign for you.
10. Unique Meta Content for all Pages: Page title is the most important SEO factor. The title should include important primary keywords, as it helps to rank better on search engines. On the other hand, meta description does not help you rank, but it will often appear as the snippet text below your listing. So, while creating a meta description, consider including relevant keywords.
11. Customers come First: Even though search engines like Google, Yahoo, etc. are powerful bots crawling the web, but while writing content for your web pages keeps humans in mind. You can also add keywords to your text, but don’t do keyword stuffing.
12. Content – Heart of Your Website: A great content always helps any website to rank better in search results and get the relevant traffic. Content becomes more important if you are running an e-commerce website.
You can write unique description for all products and can include relevant keywords for each product.
13. Anchor Tag: Anchor text guides spiders what the linked-to page is about. You can use your keywords as anchor text while linking internally. For example, if a link says ‘click here’ it won’t help you improve search engine visibility, but if you replace ‘click here’ with one of your keywords it will be beneficial for your website.
14. Blog Writing and Guest Blog Posting: Blog is an ultimate way to keep your site updated with fresh and recent content. You can also post articles on other communities related to your business. Reading and commenting on other blogs can also improve your exposure and help you acquire new links. You can also set a section of online reviewsto get real time feedback from your visitors.
15. Use Search Engine Tools: You can register for Google Webmaster Central, Yahoo Site Explorer and Bing Webmaster Tools get more information about how the search engines see your website and which inbound links they are aware of.
16. Diversify Traffic Sources: Nowadays, Google is the main traffic generation source for many websites. What if your Google visibility goes away due to next Google algorithm update? In such situations, newsletters and other subscriber-based content may help you fetch traffic. Apart from newsletters, blog, social media and local search will also help you attract an audience that may help you survive the sudden changes of search engines.
Above search engine optimization techniques will definitely help your online business or store to get more traffic and to improve your search engine ranking.